Socks on 2 Circs
|Wow - I had no idea so many people were interested in the socks on 2 circs method. I learned the basic concept of using 2 circs from (not shockingly) Socks Soar on 2 Circular Needles by Cat Bordhi. I figured out the 2-at-once part from the Straight-Laced Socks pattern from knitty.com.|
When adapting this method for the Jaywalkers, my socks are arranged on the circs so that circ # 1 (when facing me) has, from right to left, the stitches from sock1, needle 4 (as denoted in the pattern), a marker, sock 1, needle 1 (using one ball of yarn) and then sock 2, needle 4, a marker, and sock 2, needle 1. The second circ holds the stitches from the second and third needles for both socks. I arranged them that way because the stitches on needles 1 and 4 will become the heel, so they need to be on the same circ. I cast on all the stitches for the first sock on one circ, and worked the first row of ribbing flat, and then did the same on the other circ for the other sock. Then there was a lot of slipping stitches to get them all on the right circs. In retrospect, it probably would have been easier to just cast them on and split the stitches in half between the circs, and then worry about "naming" them according to which needle they should be on. I'm a little too anal-retentive for that, apparently. So, yes, this means that when I am working on the actual zigzag pattern, the stitches on the first circ are on different rows. It's making me a little crazy, though, so I might grab some dpns and rearrange them so that they are split a little more logically.
Does this make any sense, or am I babbling gibberish again?
zib - The smiley was a total accident, although I did notice it after I took the picture.
turtlegirl - I am very glad that you were able to find those padded crochet hooks easily. I've been considering trying them, mostly because I get a sore spot on the side of my hand where the hook rubs. It's kind of annoying. =)
Oh, and the crocheted bolero is finished. I finished it up last night have it pinned out on the blocking board today. I'm quite happy with how it turned out. Again, modeled pics as soon as I can get hubby to take some. (I see a picture-heavy post in my future to catch up on all these promises.)
And just because this stitch pattern is really neat, a closeup.
ETA: The Bloom shawl, by our newly blooming rhododendron!