Tuesday, March 14, 2006

I've crossed over...

... to the crochet side.

OK, so I've actually known how to crochet for a few years, but I haven't done it in quite some time. Then I picked up the new Stitch 'n Bitch Crochet book, and I really liked some of the designs, so I decided to pick up the hooks again. This is the Short 'n Sweet bolero from the book, done in Halcyon King Tut Cotton in Turquoise. I really like how it is coming out, not least because crochet moves so freakin' fast. =) I've got about 1 repeat left around the bottom of the body, and then the sleeves and the edging to go. I'm going to look at it once the body is done according to the pattern and make sure that it isn't too short on me. I have some extra yarn, so I should be fine to lengthen it if I need to. I love this stitch pattern - it's really textural and just nifty.

I've also started another project. (You know, because I don't have any waiting over there in my list that have been sitting there for months or anything) Aren't they awesome? What do you mean, you can't tell what they are? Isn't it obvious? =) Anyway, these are my Jaywalker socks, being done in Lorna's Laces Shepherd Sock in the "Happy Valley" colorway. This is my first time using LLSS, and I freely admit that I ordered this color not only because it was pretty and springy, but because Happy Valley is the nickname of both Penn State (where hubby went) and Westminster College (where I went). So far, I am loving the yarn, although getting everything cast on and arranged on the circs was an adventure, for some reason.








And lookie here - I got a package! My awesome, lovely Knittyboard SP bylt (whose identity I figured out by complete accident of fate) sent me these goodies. (The postcard actually arrived before, but I forgot to post it. She sent it to me from her trip to Hong Kong.) On the right of the picture (and in the picture to the right, opened) is a gorgeous green case to hold all sorts of life's (and knitting's) little necessities, and on the right are 2 balls of Elann's Sock It To Me Esprit in a lovely purple and turquoise combination that I am looking forward to playing with. In the middle - check out that label. Yes, folks, that is Hello Kitty yarn! She found that in Hong Kong, and tell me that is not the funniest thing ever. It's a really pretty bright navy blue, and is quite soft.

I've got a good part of my stash photographed for the Flash on the first. I just have some oddballs to put together yet.

Oh, and thank you for your kind words on my Bloom shawl. Honestly, it's a very nice, easy pattern - who doesn't love garter stitch short-rows on US15 needles? =) And I know, I still owe you a modeled shot. It's a crazy week for hubby at work, so I haven't managed to get him to take a picture yet.

Labels: ,

12 Comments:

At 6:29 PM, Blogger String Bean said...

I'll be the first to say I don't love garter stitch short rows on size 15 needles.
I do love the shawl though!

 
At 6:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ohhhhhhhh.... so pretty! My SP just sent me a book to learn socks on two circs - I haven't gotten too far into it yet - but I don't recall seeing how to do TWO socks at a time! How do you do it?

I cannot wait to see your shawl on! I love seeing shawls, but I have never had the chance to make or wear one for that matter!

 
At 10:17 PM, Blogger Kim said...

OOh, crochet! Such a mystery to me...I have no clue!

I have yarn set aside all ready for jaywalkers. After SockapalOOOza of course.

Your shawl is very pretty :o)

 
At 10:55 PM, Blogger Zonda said...

Well even though you are on the other side, we still love you! ;)

Some nice goodies there for sure! I have an idea on like 3 people mine could be...hmmm...

Can't wait to see your shawl though!

 
At 10:59 PM, Blogger Pyewacket said...

Crochet = instant gratification. *grin* That is a lovely stitch pattern!

 
At 9:19 AM, Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

I wanted to THANK YOU for the crochet hook suggestion for my mom. I found them at Michaels (they're made by clover) last night and I bought her 4 different sizes. I really hope they work for her. And I bought a copy for me too (of the Happy Hooker) I just might be picking up that hook again for the first time since I was, oh, 12?

And yeah, the casting on of the 2 on 2 circs is what confuses me. I tried it once and failed miserably. Mostly because I couldn't figure out how to do the trick that Cat Bordhi recommends (passing the first cast on loop over the last) on both socks. I suppose I don't have to, but I could really tell the difference on the one I didn't do it. I ended up ripping it out. But I really want to try two on two again! I just have to figure out the cast on trick.

 
At 2:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ahhhh the sockies make a smiley face! Nice shot!

 
At 2:52 PM, Blogger Brittany said...

Oooh I'm interested to see progress on the Jaywalker socks! My Lorna's Laces wasn't really agreeing with that but I do have another colourway I can try.

I'm glad you liked your package!

 
At 3:05 PM, Blogger Mtwelovett said...

lovely work lady ;) I like your yarn color choices too.

 
At 3:27 PM, Blogger Annie said...

Hooray for Jaywalkers! Yes I'm still on my mittens, hush.

 
At 9:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Trillian,
Can you tell me how you doing your jaywalkers on circs instead of dpn's. If you could direct me to a site, I would sooooooooooo appreciate it.

Necia

 
At 12:00 PM, Blogger Angela said...

You've crossed over huh? Then welcome to the dark side, (she says in her best Darth Vader voice) just kidding! Love the color you picked for your Short n' Sweet.

Angela 'La Vonne' Best

 

Post a Comment

<< Home