Friday, March 24, 2006

Handspun!

Well, I finally did it! I finally used the drop spindle kit that Kris gave me for my birthday (yes, way back in September. I'm lame.). You want proof?

Here is is! That was the 6 oz. "start with me" bundle of merino roving that Adrian sent with the kit. Some of it is a little less than neatly spun (ok, or spun at all), but some of it actually looks like yarn! Yay! I think I'm going to knit it up later today to see how it comes out. It ended up being about 13.25 yards when done.

And if you were wondering what inspired me to finally start playing with the drop spindle, yes I had an ulterior motive (OK, two, actually). My darling SP bylt sent me some gorgeous roving, and I want to play with it, so that was part of it. The other reason is that I've been really wanting to try working on a wheel, and being me this means buying one. So when one of my fellow Knittyheads posted that she was selling her wheel, and that it was an Ashford Traditional, which was the very same wheel that bylt recommended, yeah, I bought it. And per UPS, it will be here today!!!! So, I decided I had better start getting a grasp on this whole drafting thing. It comes and goes - I'm nowhere near consistent yet, but I'm getting better. Hopefully by not too long, I'll be able to get it to work.

And the other thing about said wheel - I joked to Kris that since he had no interest in learning to knit, maybe he should learn to spin. He actually said he might like to do that! When I told him yesterday that the wheel should be here today, he asked if I had enough fiber for both of us to play with. Hee! I already was planning to ask him to make me a niddy-noddy - maybe he'll actually be using it, too!

Oh, and my oldest dearest friend on the planet finally started a knitting blog yesterday. Go say hi!

ETA: SWATCH!
Interestingly, the part on the top of the swatch where the yarn is all skinny and even was the part I did Wednesday night. The bottom part, slightly (Ha!) more thick-and-thin, is from last night. I think I got a little overconfident.

Also, if anyone cares, I bought Lee Raven's Spin It to learn from, because the instructions that came with my kit just weren't quite clicking for me. It's a great book!

Labels:

11 Comments:

At 9:12 AM, Blogger Pyewacket said...

Ohhhh, please please please blog in great detail so that I can vicariously learn to spin through you! LOL Sounds like you're in for a fun time. :-)

 
At 9:48 AM, Blogger Faerynuff said...

That is so pretty! I can't wait to learn to spin. I can picture myself with long grey hair held up by knitting needles spinning everything in sight when I'm 80!

 
At 9:49 AM, Blogger Bonnie said...

Mmm, those are pretty colors. Congrats!

 
At 9:52 AM, Blogger Annie said...

Hooray for spinning! Can't wait to see more pics of your yarn.

 
At 10:53 AM, Blogger snowdrop said...

Looks great! Lovely colours! I've had a spindle for a while, but not made anything yet... It'll be nice to watch someone else's progress!

 
At 11:03 AM, Blogger Zonda said...

Congrats! Looks good! I can see it now...you know that commercial for the shower...hehe you and hubby trying to spend time with the wheel!

 
At 11:46 AM, Blogger Brittany said...

Oh wow that looks beautiful all knit up. Who did you buy the wheel off of? I hope it works out for you. I need to set more quality time aside for mine. ;)

 
At 12:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is so cool! That's way better than anything I've done with a drop spindle yet, it's beautiful.

 
At 1:10 PM, Blogger Rachel said...

Pam you did a great job! I'm still trying to muster up the brain/hand coordination for my first spinning attempt...

 
At 1:15 PM, Blogger Knittypants said...

Nice yarn! Pretty colors!

 
At 1:35 AM, Blogger String Bean said...

Pretty yarn! I tried to learn how to spin with a drop spindle, but couldn't figure it out, even with Lee Raven's book.
You'll have to let me know if spinning with a spinning wheel is any easier to learn.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home