Thursday, September 07, 2006

Friendship

Warning - this is a knitting and food-free post. =)

I've had a lot of cause lately to think about friendship. I have chosen not to get into the specific here, but suffice it to say that someone I thought was a friend proved (very clearly) not to be.

I had a pretty fair number of friends in high school and college, some of whom I was VERY close to at the time. It saddens me to think that I have lost touch with most of them. I am really only in touch with four people from high school (Kir, Robin, and Donna - the ones I went to Kennywood with this spring, and Mike, who I hear from sporadically), and one from college (and since she's my cousin, I'm not sure that counts). I also have some good friends that I have made since being married, most of whom either went to school with Kris or married people who did.

Anyway, lately, I have had cause to turn to some people I know only from the Knittyboards for support. The funny thing is that even though I haven't met some of them in "real" life (It bothers me to refer to the Knittyboards as somehow less real because they are online...), I am as close to them as some of the people I see on a regular basis. And these people, with whom I technically only share an obsession with using sticks to turn string into something useful, have stepped up to the plate and been some of the truest friends I can imagine. They have let me vent when I needed to, made me laugh with some really snarky comments, and have made me believe that I will honestly get through this and be ok.

I'm not sure all of them know just how much they have touched my life, but I have to take a moment to thank them. I'm not sure I can ever repay them for this, but I love them all dearly, and I want to make sure that they know it.

Thank you, guys. You are amazing people, and I am so lucky to have found you.

Hugs,
Pam

Labels:

9 Comments:

At 7:41 AM, Blogger Rain said...

It's amazing how close you can become to online friends. I think they're just a valid a friend whether you've met them IRL or not.

 
At 9:36 AM, Blogger knitfriendly said...

I love how close the knitting community is. I have made amazing friend's online and most of whom I have never met IRL.

 
At 9:54 AM, Blogger Mtwelovett said...

(((hugs))) I don't know the trouble you've been having, but sometimes people who were your firends move in other directions. That doesn't mean they weren't ever your friend at all. Don't let your present situation ruin the happy memories you have with them, but accept the fact that it may be time to move on.

I feel the same way about the knittyheads. :)

 
At 10:16 AM, Blogger Karen said...

Knittyheads rock, plain and simple. One of my very best friendships was forged online and I didn't physically meet her until 3 years after we started talking.

Hope all is ok with you.

 
At 12:44 PM, Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

((((Pam))))

I love you too, babe.

 
At 8:18 PM, Blogger gourdongirl said...

Hugs to you Pam. I read your post on the board and know how you must be hurting. A "friend" did that with my now ex fiance many years ago.

Remember your knitty friends will be there for you no matter what, with plenty of hugs and chocolate.

Shonze

 
At 12:24 AM, Blogger Zonda said...

(((triple big hugs!!))) as I've been away from the internet for a bit! Love ya!

 
At 10:43 PM, Blogger Stitchcounter said...

Friends are friends no matter how you met them. What counts is whether or not they can be there for you when you need them. I consider myself lucky to have you as a friend. I wish there were more I could do regarding your not-a-real-friend situation.

 
At 8:49 PM, Blogger roxy =^o^= said...

Love you sweety *mwah*

 

Post a Comment

<< Home