Sunday, August 20, 2006

Arrrrrrgh!

Check it out! I finished the "We Call Them Pirates" hat for Kris!
I actually finished it a couple of days ago, but had to block it and then wait for it to dry. Stupid cotton hem. =) It is KnitPicks Wool of the Andes in "Coal" and "Cloud", and KnitPicks Shine Worsted (for the hem/lining) in "Ebony". The Shine Worsted was a killer on my hands (US1 needles...shudder), but the Shine Sport doesn't come in black.

I'm really happy with how it came out, since this was my first real Fair Isle project. There were a couple of places that I pulled the floats a little tight, but most of them stretched a bit with blocking. This is a cute project, and a lot of fun to knit. Which is good, since I am making another one for my brother for Christmas. And Kris says it is nice and warm. Because, you know, Tom will really need that in Vegas. Hee.

We did something last night that was totally new to me, and way more fun than I thought it should be. John was meeting up with a couple of his old medical school friends and invited us to tag along. We went to the Montgomery County Fair to watch the demolition derby. And it was AWESOME. Kris took his camera (of course) and took a ton of pictures. He's posted a few of them here, but these are a couple of my faves.

DSC_0099This couple was sitting in front of us. Judging from her hair, we are guessing that they actually got married yesterday and were spending the evening at the fair. How cute is that?

DSC_0034This was the car that won the "small car" division. And the driver? Was a woman. :D

We really had a blast. And we also had some awesome food. There is nothing like a county fair funnel cake. Yum.

And my dear Siress Yorkie? Every hour on the hour? Really? I have to believe you have more important things to do than see if I have updated my blog. =)

Labels: ,

14 Comments:

At 9:28 PM, Blogger Sarah said...

Oh Demolition Derbies are wicked good fun! We live in the heart of derby country where many homes have their champion cars diaplayed year round! I am glad you had a good time.

 
At 10:21 PM, Blogger Zonda said...

Wow, that brought back memories! :)

Arghsome job on the hat!

 
At 10:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The pirate hat is awesome!

Before this, I've never known anybody who went to a demolition derby. Guess I live a sheltered life.

 
At 1:32 AM, Blogger Brittany said...

Love the hat! Eric thinks it's cool too. (Hahahahaha! He thinks a piece of someone else's knitwear is cool! Converting the civilians one at a time!)

 
At 3:29 AM, Blogger ChestyLove said...

WELL OF COURSE I have more important things to do, but they're not nearly as fun. HONestly. SOME people.

 
At 6:55 AM, Blogger Jerry & Maxy said...

The hat came out so well!! It's one of my favorite patterns - great knitting!!!

 
At 9:13 AM, Blogger Valerie said...

That hat looks great! I have to make sure my husband doesn't see it!

 
At 9:22 AM, Blogger Rain said...

The hat looks fantastic!

Looks like you had fun at the fair.

 
At 1:02 PM, Blogger Charity said...

Great finished hat! You did a really nice job :0)

 
At 2:35 PM, Blogger Sarah said...

Yay! Pirate hat!

I love it!

 
At 8:36 PM, Blogger Acornbud said...

Wow that is pretty awesome for your first Fairisle project.

 
At 10:03 PM, Blogger Batty said...

Awesome hat, I love it! And demolition derbies are fun, or else, they wouldn't be so popular. Not everything has to use your brain to be fun, you know... : )

 
At 11:26 PM, Blogger thatfarmgirl said...

1. I need one of those pirate hats. Arrrrrrrrrr.

2. See you at B&N in October as we're off to South Africa!

3. Thanks for the compliment. I'll give you a spin in my new ride some time!

 
At 6:15 PM, Blogger velmalikevelvet said...

i love that hat! thanks for the pattern link. and dd are the tops in trailer park chic, aren't they? i saved a piece of side panel that flew over the fence in my direction when i went.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home