Saturday, March 25, 2006

And It Begins...

Wow, this wheel thing could be seriously addictive. I think I'm starting to get the hang of it, although I am definitely still having some overspinning issues (as you will see).

I spun this last night. It's the big thing of roving that came with my drop spindle kit, so I even separated and teased the fiber myself! (And yes, I know that the camera focused on the lazy kate behind the spindles. Unfortunately, I didn't know that until it was too late to take another picture.).



Then, I branched out into something new - plying! I had some... adventures with it, but it got a little better as I went on. I soaked it and hung it to dry with a little weight on it, and this morning, I knit it up into a little swatch.

Ta da!

The color is close to the swatch picture, although maybe not quite so bright.






So, this morning, I had to play some more (duh). I spun up some more of the roving from my kit, and I think I'm getting a slightly better grasp on the idea of pre-drafting. It makes a HUGE difference. I spun this up, and then decided to ply it, too.


Um, yeah. Oops. This would be that overspinning thing I was talking about.


I got that untangled, and finished plying it. It's now washed and hanging to dry. I'll probably knit it up as soon as it is dry. It's getting a bit more even as I work. Happily, I've got some more roving to work with, and I can keep playing for a while. I may see about going to Springwater tomorrow to take a look at their rovings and stuff.

Labels:

6 Comments:

At 8:28 PM, Blogger chacha / Jen said...

Look at you go, you crazy spinning lady! It looks great!

 
At 8:29 PM, Blogger Stitchcounter said...

Woo-hoo! Look at you spinning...I knew it was only a matter of time. Perhaps, I can be one of your first customers when you finally go into business. ;-)

 
At 12:08 AM, Blogger Zonda said...

Looks good! WTG! Thanks for the pics of your progress! Makes us feel like we are there with you!
Spin on! (hehe)

 
At 5:13 PM, Blogger String Bean said...

So I take it you like the wheel better than the drop spindle?
I may have to get a wheel, but I'm a little unsure. I couldn't do the drop spindle thing at all, but Nancy at Canvasworks said I might do better with a wheel. I don't know!
The yarn you spun is beautiful! My favorite color! I love the look of the double-ply yarn. Woo-hoo!

 
At 2:02 PM, Blogger Ginamonster said...

I prefer my drop spindle to my wheel, but that's because I get nervous starting new things. plus my wheel needs some new parts. The yearn looks great! ps, got a brand new knitty knotty on ebay very reasonable, if you decide not to make one.

 
At 10:55 AM, Blogger GretchenX said...

hahaha - want some of my roving? I haven't spun in ages!

And yeah, same yarn, same color - I think I'm going to use a Marianne Kunzel pattern for my 2 skeins - I haven't made up my mind yet, and I have another long-term project on the needles right now.

:)
Gretchen

 

Post a Comment

<< Home