Monday, November 13, 2006

Hats for Alex

You probably remember my telling you about my dear, dear friend Kirsten, who lost her baby boy Alex last December. More than anything, I've wanted to do something in memory of this sweet baby who was taken away from his family way too soon. After a conversation with some folks on the Knittyboards, all of whom wanted to contribute in some way, we decided to send hats to the hospital that cared for Alex. My goal is to get 198 hats by the end of November - one for every day of his too-short life - so that I can get them to the hospital by the anniversary of his death.

So far, I have received 45 hats. If you would like to contribute, I am collecting hats in preemie and baby sizes, in acrylic, cotton, or blends (no wool or wool blends, please). Email me, and I will send you the address to send them.

String Bean has written a pattern specifically for this project, here. You can of course use any baby hat pattern you have, but I have to thank String Bean for taking Alex into her heart.

To those of you who have already sent or committed to sending hats, thank you. And to anyone else who wants to pitch in, you have my gratitude forever. I've put a button and a progress bar over in the side bar. Feel free to put the button on your own blog and link to this post if you'd like. The more we spread the word, the more hats we can collect.

Labels:

9 Comments:

At 10:39 AM, Blogger Bezzie said...

What? Only 45???? I'm not sure if my fourth hat will get to you (the mini mite--I haven't received it back yet).

I'll have to knit you some more!

 
At 12:50 PM, Blogger Rain said...

It's such a tragic thing to happen. I hope you reach your target soon.

 
At 1:04 PM, Blogger Avrienne said...

I'm casting a hat on right now.

 
At 3:01 AM, Blogger ChestyLove said...

I've got three hats going out to you today. Shake the bones and perform the lucky dance that APO mail doesn't lose them...

 
At 9:47 AM, Blogger Zonda said...

I've been a working on some! Sending to you early next week! :)

 
At 10:50 AM, Blogger kemtee said...

Button up and linked. Looks like I've got some more work to do if you're only up to 50….

 
At 8:43 AM, Blogger knitfriendly said...

That is such an awful story. Good luck on your goal!

 
At 8:29 PM, Blogger Batty said...

I'm getting the yarn as soon as my paycheck comes in. What a worthy cause. What a sad occasion.

 
At 4:50 PM, Blogger String Bean said...

I sent four hats last week. Did you get them?

I'm going to knit a few more.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home