Friday, June 02, 2006

Jack Sparrow's Favorite Socks

Okay, so maybe I'm taking some liberties with assuming they would be his favorite socks. Kind of tempting to make some and mail them to Johnny Depp and Orlando Bloom, though, just to see how grateful they would be for fabulous handknit socks...

Where was I? Oh yeah, the Pirate Socks:

Materials:
MC - Lorna's Laces Shepherd Sock in Black Purl - 2 skeins
CC1 - Knit Picks Essential in Black - less than 1 skein
CC2 - Patons Kroy Sock in Muslin - less than 1 skein

Size US2 needles (or size needed for gauge)- I use the 2-circ method, but if you prefer DPNs or Magic Loop, go for it!
Size C crochet hook
Waste yarn for provisional cast-on

Gauge: 28sts=4" in Stockinette stitch

Short-row Toe:
Using crochet hook and waste yarn, cast 32 stitches onto needle. Change to MC and knit across all stitches. Then, following the great Short-Row Toe instructions here, work short rows until you have 8 live stitches in the middle, and 12 wrapped stitches on either side. At this point, go on to the "Now work the second half of the toe" section of the instructions until your toe is complete.

Foot:
Once you have the toe complete and have placed your provisional cast-on back on your needles, work one round with CC1, and then switch to the MC. Work in the MC in stockinette until the sock is about 2" shorter then the intended wearer's foot.

Heel:
Change to CC1 again, and work the short-row heel exactly the same way you worked the toe, leaving the instep stitches on a holder or another needle.

Cuff:
Once the heel is complete, change back to the MC and work 5 rounds in stockinette. Join CC2 and work the pirate motif chart. Be sure to keep the floats nice and loose so that the cuff will stretch over a heel. The entire chart will repeat twice around the top of the sock. Once the chart is complete, work another 5 rounds in stockinette in the MC. Change to CC1 and work 5 rounds of K2P2 rib. Bind off loosely. (I like EZ's sewn bind off, personally. Loose, but not sloppy.)

Repeat for second sock, unless you are like me and do both at once. Now, go sail the high seas and plunder a village or two!

Pirate motif chart: (Adapted from the "We Call Them Pirates" hat pattern at helloyarn.com)

ETA: Wow. I was checking my stats, and apparently this is now linked from Knitting Pattern Central. So, if that's how you found it, HI! And if you make them, please come back and leave a comment with a link to pictures - I'd love to see them!

ETA Again - The sidebar has been updated with .pdf versions of my patterns - easier to print!

Labels:

10 Comments:

At 11:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG I MUST HAVE A PAIR OF THESE!

So flippin' sweet! You really did a FAB job on these - and FAST!

 
At 9:36 PM, Blogger rho said...

I'm only taking sock lessons over the next few weeks and I am already lusting after these -- I am definitely saving the pattern for these. Thanks

 
At 4:45 PM, Blogger WickedStitch said...

LOVING THESE! Now if I could only figure out how to follow that grid.*UGH*

 
At 10:56 PM, Blogger dianemulholland said...

I said I'd never do intarsia again but I'm changing my mind! Am I allowed to dream about Johnny Depp while I'm wearing them ;-) (Pirates 2 in cinemas in 5 days!!)

 
At 11:03 AM, Blogger Monica said...

Cool socks!

 
At 4:15 PM, Blogger Lyndsey-Jane said...

I am casting on tonight as my housemate wants a pair for his birthday. I will be using Lorna's Laces Camoflauge (mc), natural (cc2) and Opal Uni Brown (cc1). will send u link to pics when done.

 
At 6:56 PM, Blogger Twinkerbell said...

I'm so excited this pattern was posted! I saw them somewhere online and had to find them, so I googled them and it brought me here! I'm new to the sock knitting venture, but I'm so excited to try these!

 
At 11:35 PM, Blogger lisa said...

i used your chart for the skulls, and some leftover orange koigy. the black is knitpicks (the 'new' kind, real soft)
anyhoo, my interpretation of your socks is on my 4/17/07 entry (tho they're not quite finished...)
and thanks for sharing the chart!

 
At 9:39 PM, Blogger roxy =^o^= said...

Yay!

 
At 5:19 PM, Blogger Kristi said...

I've just cast-on -- my first crochet EVER! (Thank you, youtube.) What I don't know is the size: is the pattern built for your average woman, or my dad? How do I adapt them for a bigger size? I've never knitted socks before. Perhaps biting off more than I can chew?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home