Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Random Stuff and Nonsense

I had the loveliest Saturday this weekend. I met up with my friends Maryanne and Carrie (mother-daughter duo from my knitting group) and we went in to StitchDC. Not only did we have fun fondling all the new yarns (some of which, erm, may have come home with me and will be featured in future YPF's), but we got to meet Marie's (the owner) too-cute baby boy Cole, we got to check out the new Addi Lace needles (very nice - the tips are comparable to the KP Options in terms of pointiness, from what I could see), AND I finally found a copy of the incredibly fabulous No Sheep for You!!! Seriously - I am in love with this book. I have a hunch I will be making quite a few of the patterns in it. Gorgeous, gorgeous stuff. And really, really good information about all the different types of non-animal fibers, how they behave, and how to substitute them in a pattern that calls for a sheepy yarn.

Public service announcement: Heather over at All Things Heather is doing some fundraising for her daughter's school and their sister school in South Africa. She's also giving away her hand dyed yarns as a thank-you for those who contribute. Go, take a look, and see if you can spare a couple of bucks to help buy books for some kids!

And some knitting news: I finally got a progress shot of the Palette Cardigan!

This is where it has been for a while - I haven't actually worked on it for probably two weeks now. I'm in the midst of stripe #14 of the 18 for the body, and then I will cut the sleeve steeks, pick up and knit the sleeves, steek the front, and do the button bands and collar. I should be done right about when the weather hits 100 and a wool sweater is truly ridiculous. :D

In other knitting news, I was reading the Purling Sprite's blog last week, and saw her announcement of her new endeavor - Loom Knitter's Circle magazine! I've seen the Knifty Knitter looms at my local AC Moore a few times, and thought about picking some up to play with them. Well, I looked at the magazine, and I thought about it, and then when Kris and I were at AC Moore on Sunday (he was picking up stuff to make a light diffuser and a reflector for his photography), I took the plunge.

This is just the first thing I was playing with, getting an idea of how to use the loom and whatnot. I plan to keep playing with it. I don't think I'm going to be replacing my needles with looms permanently, but it's a different technique, and I'm glad to have it in my repetoire, along with crochet as an alternative for when I get bored with knitting.

Labels: , ,

15 Comments:

At 11:59 AM, Blogger thatfarmgirl said...

Wow - that's a lot of progress on the cardi even if you haven't picked it up in two weeks. I just saw StitchDC is having a big sale!

 
At 1:38 PM, Blogger Pinkwool said...

I love the patterning of the cardi, I have contemplated that one myself.

A lot of people are hopping on the loom bandwagon it seems. I just think it would be too fiddly for me.

 
At 2:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Saturday was awesome! Looking at that fairisle does confirm one thing, though... you're completely bonkers ;P

 
At 3:17 PM, Blogger Knitting Bandit said...

After seeing that fabulous cardi, I couldn't believe my eyes when I read you might get bored with knitting! Bored? I can see how you'd get fustrated, maybe sick and tired of it. But bored when you knit such beautiful colors? You're a crazy girl!

 
At 4:54 PM, Blogger Helen said...

oh my. i do need to start saving up and asking for gift certs from KP. i want to make Thermal and this cardi is still calling me

 
At 6:30 PM, Blogger The Kelly Green Rogue said...

wow the cardi looks impressive.

As a weird side note - any time I read "fondling" in my head I think "fondle, fondle, fondle" in a happy tone. no idea why

 
At 7:55 PM, Blogger thatfarmgirl said...

Oops -- it's Knit and Stitch that is having the sale. Sorry if I got anyone worked up!

 
At 8:55 PM, Blogger Kris B said...

Wow the cardi is gorgeous!

 
At 9:35 PM, Blogger Pocket Size said...

P.S. Check me out! I'm a blogger now! w00t!!!

 
At 12:13 AM, Blogger Jennifer said...

Nice work on the cardi! I am jealous! I am planning my first BIG fair isle/steaking endevour with the Fair Isle cardi in the IK W'06.

 
At 9:18 AM, Blogger Batty said...

That cardigan is looking good! I love it, it's so happy.

 
At 1:59 PM, Blogger Rain said...

Wow! Your cardigan looks amazing. It's breathtakingly beautiful.

 
At 1:03 AM, Blogger Zonda said...

Oh Wow! That is a lot of color changes!! Looks great so far! :)

 
At 10:25 PM, Blogger Zonda said...

Love the colors!! I would have never realized they would work together until I saw it here first LOL!!

 
At 7:59 AM, Blogger LadyLungDoc said...

Love love love the palette cardigan!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home