Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Cranky, cranky, cranky

So, I've been a good girl, working away on the Clapotis that I am making for my mother, so that it will be done when they come down for Thanksgiving. Monday I started the final ball of yarn, and with it the decrease section of the pattern. You may remember that this was the plan, since I was sort of guesstimating how long each section should be.

So, last night, I am cruising along, decreasing my heart out, and I get down to about 20 stitches left per row. And about 2 feet of yarn. This is not an equation that bodes well for the imminent completion of the Clapotis (and probable casting-on of the Satchel for Dad). I stewed about it for a while, trying to figure out if there was any way to salvage it other than ripping out a WHOLE LOT of work. I finally determined that no, there was not, and I was going to have to rip out the entire decrease section and the last repeat of the straight section to start the decreases earlier. So, I took a deep breath and did it.

The decrease section I just ripped and wound sort of willy-nilly, since I knew I was going to be ripping beyond it and could do that more carefully. Once I finished that last ball, though, I started ripping a little more cautiously while taking out the final straight repeat. I picked a row that looked promising and started working my way across it, putting the stitches back on the needle. Of course, some of these stitches had already been dropped as per the pattern, so my Clapotis is looking a little odd at the moment, but I did get through one repeat of the decrease section before having to put it away for the night. It's going to be very pretty, I'm just cranky at it for the moment.

I had an in-person Knitty meetup yesterday. Yorkie is in town with her hubby and little guy, and she and I met up at the park for about an hour and a half yesterday morning and hung out while Max played. She is awesome - so much fun, so easygoing, and with a VERY similar sense of humor to mine. She called me last night to see if I wanted to meet up for lunch today so she could have some time out without Maxman, so we're meeting at Panera (yum) to eat and knit.

It shouldn't really surprise me, but all the Knitty folk I've met in person are so cool (GretchenX, alicec, leftie, and now Yorkie). No wonder it's such a great community.

UPDATE: Unfortunately, Yorkie had to cancel today, but we're going to try to hook up tomorrow. And...I am thisclose to being done with the Clapotis - nothing left but weaving in the ends and blocking it! Yay!

1 Comments:

At 3:21 PM, Blogger thatfarmgirl said...

I'd love to catch up someday and see your Clapotis. I just received the yarn for mine, but fear I won't be able to start until well after the holidays!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home