Thursday, October 13, 2005

Softest. Scarf. Ever.

Ok, Muench Touch Me is officially the most amazingly soft (non-cashmere) yarn I have ever felt. I finished my re-working of the Vintage Velvet scarf from Scarf Style last night, and I am in love. I am sitting here at the computer in my pj's, with the scarf around my neck. As soon as there is another human being in the house, I'll get pictures (No, I will not still be in my pj's at that point). And once I put it through the washer and dryer, I'll be darned if it didn't end up looking like crushed velvet, just like everyone says it will! See:
I picked up this yarn as part of the Birthday Yarn Extravaganza. I had wanted to make the Vintage Velvet scarf, but I just could not bring myself to buy 5 balls of the yarn. So, I bought 3. I figured I'd come up with something. I started making the scarf according to the pattern, figuring that if 5 balls equals a 5' long scarf, 3 balls should equal a 3' long scarf. As I started on ball #3, I realized that it was going to be shorter than 3', and that just wasn't going to work for me. So I frogged the entire thing, and reworked the pattern. The original pattern is two 8-stitch panels of broken rib stitch flanking a 12-stitch cable done in 1x1 ribbing, which is a brilliant idea, because it looks like a 6-stitch cable from either side. I cut the broken rib sections down to 6 stitches each, and made the cable only 8 stitches wide. I also crossed the cables every 8 rows instead of every 12. So, the finished scarf ended up about 4-1/2 inches wide and 5' long. The perfect length for double-it-over-and-pull-the-ends-through-the-fold wearing.

Now, I'm off to clean up thie kitchen, and decide what new project to cast on now that my scarf is finished. What do you mean I have 5 WIPs already waiting? A girl needs choices, people!

Labels:

4 Comments:

At 8:19 AM, Blogger Francesca said...

That's brilliant. I too have ogled the Vintage Velvet scarf but balked at the price of five balls of Touch Me. You are a pattern reworking goddess.

 
At 8:47 AM, Blogger Trillian42 said...

Thanks! If you decide to try it, let me know - I charted what I did, and I'd be happy to email it to you!

 
At 11:52 AM, Blogger rincaro said...

I was at my LYS the other day when that came in. And I could not put it down. Such sinful feeling yarn.

Your scarf is gorgeous!

 
At 10:45 AM, Blogger thatfarmgirl said...

Beautiful...and the color is gorgeous on you!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home