Friday, December 08, 2006

Alex

One year ago today, Alexander Paul Tay lost the battle for his life and succumbed to the injuries suffered at the hands of his daycare provider.

Today, one year later, I have a box of 170 hats sitting in my house, waiting to be mailed to the hospital that took care of him as he fought. Hats from all across the US, Canada, and Great Britain. Hats that show me just how much love and compassion are shown by knitters for a family they have never even met.

These hats:




The next picture contains 26 hats. All of them came from Magatha - it seemed like every few days, there was another package from her, with more hats. Her blog is called "Mag the Magnificent", and I must agree wholeheartedly.
This final picture includes some very special hats. You will notice that most of them are not handknit. These were sent to me by two of Kirsten's aunts, who heard about the project too late to have time to knit them, so they purchased some so that they could still contribute. The five hats across the bottom were knit by Kirsten herself.

Thank you all, every one of you who took time to knit a hat in the memory of this beautiful little boy, and in honor of his mother, father, big brother, and the rest of their family and friends. You have no idea how much your contributions have meant to me. Kirsten has been my dearest friend since I was in junior high, and she is the closest thing to a sister I have ever had. It broke my heart to see her going through this, but it helps to heal it knowing how many people took time to do something for her and her son.

I exchanged a few emails yesterday with the gentleman at the hospital who will be the one receiving the hats. He is thrilled with the response to this project, and is glad that they will be able to provide these hats to keep their patients' heads warm. He and I also discussed the possibility of making this an ongoing project, which I would very much like to do. I'm going to hammer out the details with him after the holidays, and will post them here. So, if you wanted to make a hat and didn't have a change (or you did, but you want to make more), I will be continuing to collect them going forward.

I love you all for being a part of this.

Labels:

13 Comments:

At 7:54 AM, Blogger sillyrabbit said...

That is so amazing. I'm so inspired--you'll definitely be getting some hats from me.

 
At 8:56 AM, Blogger kemtee said...

Being able to do some little bit makes a person feel a lot less helpless. There'll be more coming.

 
At 9:02 AM, Blogger Bezzie said...

Wow. So cool to see them all lined up like that!!!

Go Magatha! 26! WOW!

 
At 9:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Seeing all the hats together is so amazing!

 
At 6:32 PM, Blogger Valkryie Knit This said...

Wow! That's amazing! 26 for one person!

Let me know if you do get somthig set up. I've always wanted to donate hats for a good cause.

 
At 6:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, I feel terrible--I knit one up in an afternoon, then got sick and forgot entirely that I'd done it. *grumble*

I'll make sure I find some other way to donate it, since I missed the call here...

 
At 10:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a beautiful baby. Such a tragedy. You are an true friend, what an awesome way to honor Alex. You've taken a heartwrenching anniversary and put a little warmth, maybe even a little smile into it. I would love to knit a hat or two for next year.

 
At 11:08 AM, Blogger Annie said...

That is really incredible. Fantastic project!

 
At 1:19 AM, Blogger roxy =^o^= said...

I'm there for you & Kir with as many hats as you need sweetypie :) It's my pleasure to contribute, even though I still suck at my knitting skillz.

*hugs n kisses*

AnneMarie


PS - Magatha totally rocks hardcore

 
At 5:16 AM, Blogger Rain said...

It was such a terrible thing to happen, but it's good that you could make something positive out of it. I'm sure the hats will be really appreciated by those who receive them.

 
At 3:01 PM, Blogger Batty said...

Absolutely amazing. Let us know if this turns into an ongoing thing! My hats are coming in the next couple of weeks, though I feel utterly humbled by Magatha's contribution. Wow!

 
At 2:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know what to say - except that I'd love to knit some hats for you. Is it too late? (The hats will be coming from Australia).
Would you mind if I linked to you from my blog? I know my readers will be happy to contribute... x

 
At 12:39 PM, Blogger Mag said...

I love seeing all the variety in what the others made. Good inspirations all around!
It looks kind of obsessive when you see the hats I made all together like that. I just would sit down to TV at night and knit up a little hats until I ran out of yarn. It helps that I am sick of knitting for myself, and I have my own tragedy so I really identified with the loss of Alex. So I will continue to obsess and knit some more. I'm out of acrylic though, so I'll have to shop. Ah Rats! :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home