Monday, May 07, 2007

SHEEP AND WOOOOOOOOL!!!

It was a wild and wooly (Hee!) weekend here, thanks to Turtlegirl's arrival on Thursday afternoon and Artsygal's on Friday night for the Maryland Sheep and Wool Festival.

We had a complete blast all weekend, starting with a Friday morning trip to Cristi's fave spot to visit when she comes up - Ikea! I'm sure she'll be posting her goodies, but let's just say that the sweater patterns aren't the only thing we have in common. :D Friday night, poor Jas got stuck in traffic and missed our dinner meetup at a local diner with theotheramanda and Stariel, both of whom we knew from the Knittyboards. (Amanda has a couple of pics from dinner on her blog)

We got up BRIGHT and early Saturday morning (like 6am early) and hit the road at about 7. We arrived at the fairgrounds just about 8:00 and headed straight for The Fold. We weren't the first in line for the STR. We were 4th, 5th, and 6th. Ahead of us were two MORE folk that we knew from the boards - Ajastoy and LICraftgal - along with a woman who had come clear from Houston for the fest. We had a blast gabbing and giggling with everyone in line until they opened the booth at 9am and the frenzy began. It gets a bit blurry for a while there, although I do remember the woman behind me who had at LEAST 20 skeins in her arms as she came up to the register.

We wandered around and Jas tried out lots of wheels (Girlfriend was On. A. Mission. :D), we all fondled all sorts of fiber, and then we sat down for lunch before meeting up with the knittyfolks at noon. Unfortunately, there was some confusion about the time and place, and we missed some folks, but we did get to see Ajastoy and LICraftgal again, along with alicec and Buckyknits (blogless, but very cool). As we were heading over to the main barn, Mintyfresh passed us, and Cristi recognized her. She was going the other way, but asked if we were going to the knitblogger meetup at 1, so we said we'd see her there. We walked through part of the main barn and then stepped outside to hit the meetup. We ran into Buttercup4225 (formerly Ladybug42), who recognized Cristi and greeted us with, "Hey! You guys are my fellow Fuggers!" She introduced us to Shannon (who does the SSK podcast), and the five of us plopped down on the grass and had a great time chatting and knitting. We were found (again) by Ariel and Amanda (who were TOTALLY following us all day, even if they won't admit it), and Shannon recorded a bit of us for the podcast. We also got to meet Javajem, Kelpknits, and Frecklegirl (The brains behind the eagerly awaited Ravelry) and Cristi got to meet her very first SP - Jochibi (who was just too adorable - I just wish she had been able to hang with us a little longer). Eventually, everyone started to head off for more shopping, and Jas was itching to play with some more wheels. :D

We got home and played with our new fiber, Cristi and I on our wheels, and Jas on her brand-new Golding dropspindle.


Sunday, we opted to sleep in a bit, and picked up Roxy at 11-ish to head back for day 2, this time with Kris along to photo-document. :D

A few highlights from the day:

Carrie in her brand-new crocheted skirt
Maryanne's FAB new sock yarn
Annemarie being very... Annemarie-esque
Cristi petting her new necklace/friend - Optim fiber (REALLY soft stuff!)
And like she was going to be able to resist these
Annemarie again
Carrie testing out a Hitchhiker wheel
Clearly, Jas and I were better at avoiding the camera. :D The whole album is here.

It was really an amazing weekend - hanging with friends, and finally getting to meet in person people I've been talking to online for almost two years now. I'm already looking forward to next year! (And PKF... and Cristi wants me to come down for SAFF... and I'm still thinking about Stitches again this year.)

PS. Penny_Karma - Lady Eleanor is from Scarf Style. Or maybe Wrap Style. Dangit, I never remember. But I think it's Scarf.

Labels:

20 Comments:

At 5:48 PM, Blogger Shannon said...

Yes, you should fear me! MWAHAHAHHAH! Just kidding! You guys sound really cute-I was just trying my hand at sound editing-so far-not so good-I can't import it right and we sound like chipmunks! Thanks for the mention!
-Shannon

 
At 5:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow.. you summed that up quite well! And managed to sneak in a pic of me that I didn't even know Kris took!

Fun fun fun! I'm so glad I came with you two!

 
At 6:06 PM, Blogger buttercup said...

What a great day! It was so much fun hanging with you.

Glad you noticed I changed my Knitty ID... I did it just for you and Cristi. ;-)

Is it August yet?

 
At 7:55 PM, Blogger kemtee said...

Yay Knitties! I'm living vicariously through y'all now, but I warn you …

I WILL be at SAFF. Come hell or high water.

(Ok, don't everyone get all excited now…)

 
At 7:58 PM, Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

Oh Kemtee that better be a promise and not a threat. There WILL be much fun to be had.

you need to be inducted into the Oatmeal Cookie Club.

 
At 8:37 PM, Blogger Bezzie said...

Ha ha! Looks like a good time!
Is that an orfice hook (that used to be a fork) that Anne Marie is sticking up her nose???? I hope she abided by the "You put it in an orfice/you buy it" policy!

 
At 8:41 PM, Blogger Zonda said...

Looks like an awesome time!!

Anne-marie, what a riot!!

SAFF!! YESSSSSSSSSSS! I am going!! Come on down! ;)

 
At 9:36 PM, Blogger Jo said...

Me, adorable? I told my DH you said that and he snorted and said, "Yeah - you're adorable like the goddess Pele - draw them close so you can go in for the kill!" BTW - he totally got your Knitty name - no explanation necessary. And you will see me again - at the PKF (I sure hope that acronym is in the right order!).

 
At 10:15 PM, Blogger Sarah-potterknitter said...

I was at SAFF last year and thought I was the only blogger in the place. We'll have to all meet up this year.

 
At 11:22 PM, Blogger roxy =^o^= said...

Did I hear Oatmeal Cookie?
*mmmmm*

You know there's a theme of occasional undignified Roxy piccies LOL
S'okay I'm pretty much like Calvin.

I loved hanging with everyone and can't wait to do it again at PKF/SAFF

:)

 
At 11:42 PM, Blogger Jessica said...

YAY! It looks like you guys had fun. I can't wait to go to something like that! :D

 
At 6:23 AM, Blogger reluctantMANGO said...

Nice summary! Sounds like you guys yad a blast... I'm definitley hooking up with you all next year!

 
At 8:44 AM, Blogger Dk's Wife said...

It looks like y'all had a wonderful time! I am happy for you!

Take care

Kay

 
At 8:53 AM, Blogger Amanda said...

We weren't following you, LOL. I seriously think I was drawn to the Tomato sweaters. Must. Have. Tomato. Sweater.
Again - totally awesome meeting you guys!!

 
At 9:39 AM, Blogger Pocket Size said...

I love your pics! Kris is a saint for tagging along and photodocumenting your adventures ;)
I'm glad we caught up with each other (several times) at the fest. Even if I look really demented in that pic of my skirt. :P

 
At 4:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like a lot of fun. One of these I'll make it to MDSW.

 
At 9:24 PM, Blogger Ali said...

Great fun y'all had. I can't wait to see you guys this fall. :)

 
At 11:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It was great to meet you guys last weekend - loved those Tomatoes!

 
At 8:46 AM, Blogger Brittany said...

You guys looked like you had so much fun! I'm totally living vicariously through you all too.

 
At 2:23 PM, Blogger Rain said...

It looks like you had a fabulous time.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home