Saturday, February 04, 2006

Knitting Olympics Snag

So, I sat down last night to wind my KnitPicks Shimmer for the Knitting Olympics. Somehow, a few strands got twisted going on to the swift, and I ended up with a massive tangle. After fighting with it for a couple of hours, I finally got it untangled and wound. OK, mostly untangled. I did lose a yard or two to a really stubborn knot. Perhaps this should have been my hint that this project was not going to go as I had hoped.

I sat down this morning and swatched, and although I am getting the right gauge (go me!), I don't actually like the fabric it is making. It is a little too holey for me - I was hoping for something a little more solid. Unfortunately, I think that to get that I would need to go down at a US size 0, and would also not have the right gauge. So, clearly not the right yarn for this project. Pooh. Looks like I will have to order the actual pearl cotton at some point to make it.

So, now I have a decision to make. I have to decide which of the ridiculous number of projects that I already own yarn for is going to be the Emergency Back-Up Knitting Olympics project. Going back to my original post about choosing a project, I am going to choose between these:

Flower Petal Shawl in Pure Alpaca in "Malt Heather"
Lacey in Suri Dream in "Apricot"
KnitSimple Lacy Pullover in Patons Glittalic, Lacette, and Silverlash. (I tried to find a picture of this sweater online, but haven't been able to so far.)

I keep bouncing back and forth between the three - I'll let you know when I make a decision. Hopefully that will be by the time the Steelers win the Super Bowl tomorrow. =)

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 9:57 AM, Blogger Carolyn said...

What a shame! The yarn looks so pretty.

If it was me I'd vote for the shawl from elann, I think it's beautiful. Mind you, I understand why you might be bored if you've not long knit something similar.

I've had a few swatching challenges too. Thank goodness we have this prep time ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home